Monday, January 08, 2007

I was inspired to take some photos of very old gravestones in a Vancouver cemetery after reading an article and seeing photos of gravestones taken by Andre Gallant at a Savannah Georgia cemetery and submitted to Photo-life magazine. What he said pretty well sums it up for me.
"SOME PHOTOGRAPHERS THINK THAT CEMETERIES ARE AN ODD PLACE IN WHICH TO PHOTOGRAPH, BUT I FIND THEIR TRANQUIL BEAUTY INSPIRING. WHETHER PHOTOGRAPHING AGING GRAVESTONES THAT PAY HOMAGE TO THE DEAD, TREES CASTING SHADOWS ---- I OFTEN LOSE MYSELF FOR HOURS, WANDERING ABOUT WITH MY CAMERA.
---- THESE SACRED GROUNDS ARE PART OF PEOPLE'S CULTURE; THEY ATTEST TO A PAST OFTEN RICH IN HISTORY "









.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog a week or so ago. I really like it. Its inspiring. thank you

JoJo said...

I love to photograph cemeteries. I grew up in Sandwich, MA, which was established in 1637 and I love to take pictures in the old cemetery at Shawme Pond; the markers date back to the 1690's.

Lisa said...

Don ... your new blog design is nice. I love cemeteries too. There are many old ones in Ann Arbor. I've lived here for so long, and I've walked in many of them. I'm inspired to take some pictures for my blog, walking in the cemeteries here, to share with you and others. I have a book called New Orleans Cemeteries. It would be outdated now. The old cemeteries would often flood in New Orleans (even before Katrina). There would be coffins floating in the water.

I'm sorry your daughter died. I can imagine few things more shattering than the death of a child. -Lisa